The Upper West Side can sometimes feel a bit too posh to host a true dive bar but New York Irish dive bar icon Dublin House subverts that idea completely. So deep are Dublin House’s drinking roots that it opened at the start of Prohibition in 1921, operating as a speakeasy under the ownership of the Caraway family. Current owner Mike Cormican first served as a Dublin House bartender in 1993 before eventually purchasing the business in 2006.
The New York dive bar went “legit” in 1933 with the repeal of Prohibition, erecting the massive neon sign that still exists today along its exterior wall. Out of the thousands of neon signs issued permits in 1933, Dublin House’s vintage piece is one of three still remaining. The 12-foot sign was restored in 2022 thanks to a GoFundMe campaign, ensuring that its signature glow will be seen along 79th Street for years to come. Historical records show that Emily Post once owned the townhome that houses Dublin House, adding to intrigue played upon when Dublin House served as a filming location for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.